16 January 2023

Lake View Bedroom

I bought Lake View house in July 2019, in the first blog I wrote about it I said  "I have grand designs for it, check back in about 4 years!!" And here we are just seven months away from that date and it's nowhere near finished! After doing the halls I sort of lost enthusiasm and eventually it was time for the talk - 'The longer I leave it the less likely I am to continue with it, so get your butt into gear and GET ON WITH IT'. I made a start on the bedroom and here it is.

The doors on the back wall lead to imaginary en-suite and walk in wardrobe - miniaturist's license :-)

The first job was to build a wall between the bedroom and hallway, which was easier than I thought it would be. The larger piece of wood was in my stash and only needed a small amout of sanding to make it fit, the other one I made with two thinner pieces of wood glued together with an aperture for the doorI then papered and painted the wall. I made a frame for the door which I secured with tiny pins, one through the top of the frame into the top of the door, and another through the threshold into the base of the door. I then gently put the door in place into the aperture with a painted wood frame surround, and gently slid the entire wall into place.

This is the first time I have made an opening door so I was very pleased with it.
The flooring is wood strips on a peel off backing, painted with a diluted coating
of white paint in the bedroom, for all other areas I left them natural.

The wardrobe and chest of drawers were bare wood sprayed white
I painted the small apertures on the wardrobe gold and varnished them

then decoupaged with this pretty bird and flower paper.
The areas to be covered were too small to accomodate the whole pattern
so I had to reduce the image and then see which parts fitted best.

I wanted to get all of the bird in but couldn't decide which one to choose,
but I didn't like the look of them split in half like this.

Then finally decided to just have the top half of each one
which also meant having the pretty larger peony in as well.

Both birds wouldn't fit into the area of the drawers, so I cut the main picture in half.
The bed came with a mattress and two pillows, I made the bedding and added 3 more pillows and the runner. The rug is from some material I've had in my stash for ages.

I made the pictures, books and photos, the flowers, vase and perfumes I bought online.
I've added a key hook, table and plant in the hall and plan to add some pictures and a mirror on the wall to the left. I'm not happy with the table though, I used the wrong varnish, it's too dark so I will either try to sand it all off or buy another one, or I might have a go at making one. 

Ground floor before
and after.

I'm currently working on the kitchen and keen to get on with it,
so hopefully it won't take too long!! 🤞

∼ Be warm and well∼
    Polly x

25 comments:

  1. As usual when you show us your work I'm astonished by your attention to detail as well as the overall design. Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are incredibly good with this, Polly. I could move in there now! I love how you did the armoire and chest and impressed that you built a working door. I like the art you chose for the walls, too. It's hard to believe it's so tiny! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanie. I was very pleased with the door.

      Delete
  3. You are a wonderful miniaturist! I laughed at your dilemma about cutting the birds in half, but your choices were exactly right in the end product. If I were teeny-weeny, I'd gladly move in to your Lake View House!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debra. It was a dilemma, but I usually find a solution - eventually!

      Delete
  4. As many of us know, home renovations can take time, Polly, so you are not far behind. The work looks beautiful and sure the kitchen will be just as lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beatrice. At the time of writing this I'm trying to decide what colour to paint the kitchen units!

      Delete
  5. Such an exquisite miniaturist you are! Such amazing details to be seen everywhere. Why, if I was Tiny Thumbelina-like I would crawl into that gorgeous bed and drift off to the land of beautiful dreams .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim. I would like to live in house like it.

      Delete
  6. Thank you Kylie. Pink is my favourite colour but as the room was progressing I did wonder if I had gone slightly overboard! but then I decided that the Mr of the house would be in touch with his feminine self :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so impressed with every room/home you design and fabricate.An opening door..smitten with the floral furniture and bedding too.You create heirlooms.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The wardrobe and the chest of drawers are wonderful. Very sensible to give yourself a talking-to and make some more progress!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Polly! It's fantastic!!! So many wonderful details ad finishes! I hope you are having a blast and I can't wait to get a look at the kitchen!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jodi, I'm really motivated again and am currently making a cooker !!

      Delete
  10. This is amazing, Polly, so cozy and the attention to detail is amazing. I'd move right in if I could.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, wow, wow! The detail is amazing. I’m most impressed with those hardwood floors and jealous of them, as well. Beautiful work, Polly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The bedroom is so beautiful and the workmanship perfect. I'm excited to see the kitchen, now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann, the kitchen isn't being as easy as the bedroom!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...