9 January 2023

January

And now we have January, surely the strongest contender for the dreariest, most depressing month of the year. Here in the UK it's cold, dark and damp. Wherever I walk Rufus we encounter mud and puddles. Some days the house lights are on all day because it's so dark.

However not wanting to sound like a complete whining misery there are lots of little comforts.


Snuggling up on the sofa under a cosy throw
Scented candles
Inviting friends round for a winter tea party with sanwiches and cake, tea or mulled wine.
Visits to garden centres. They're often quiet at this time of year so it's nice to meander around getting ideas for spring planting.
Soup with crusty bread
Hot chocolate drinks with marshmallows and cream
Cosy hats, gloves and scarves, warm feet inside boots
Walking into a warm cafe and my glasses steam up!

I have a new pair of prescription glasses and I'm thrilled with them. I've been putting off getting verifocals for a few years but these are brilliant. It was a slightly more expensive prescription but worth every penny, and I have never hesitated over spending money on glasses because I need them.

I've been enjoying some excellent TV programmes. 'Three Pines' starring the wonderful Alfred Molina as Chief Inspector Armand Gamache investigating a series of murders in the otherwise idyllic village of Three Pines in the eastern townships of Quebec. Running alongside these investigations Gamache is determined to solve the disappearance of a young indigenous woman. I'm looking forward to the next series coming out, hopefully this year.
I didn't realise I had missed the last series of 'The Detectorists', so I watched it all again, same with 'Ghosts', I love those shows.
I'm currently watching 'This Is Us' on Amazon. It's very good. 
And now I'm watching The Master's Snooker Tournament. I'm catching up on last night's match as I struggled to stay awake to watch it through to the end. I thought Hossein would win, he played very well. I did feel sorry for Mark Selby though, but that's the way it goes. There has to be winners and losers.

∼ Be warm and well∼
    Polly x

18 comments:

  1. January is right now our dreariest ever!This Is Us is very good perhaps not as great as Parenthood ..but very good..Take care! We enjoyed Three Pines too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I will look out for Parenthood

      Delete
  2. The sofa is Jenny's territory and yes, she loves sprawling on the sofa under a throw.
    I got some new varifocals from Specsavers, who told me the prescription I had from a local optician was completely wrong, which was why I sometimes struggled to read. My new glasses are a great improvement.
    We haven't seen any of those TV series as we only have the regular TV channels plus Sky-based channels. We want to see some more of those superior Scandi dramas, but they seem to have disappeared for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you got your glasses sorted Nick. The regular TV channels are dire, one of the channels is showing 'Howard's Way' which was first aired in 1985!!

      Delete
  3. I loved Three Pines: I'd already read most if not all the Louise Penny books and the series follows the storyline fairly well with a current, twist of adding various issues concerning indigeneous peoples here in Canada. And I'm so glad they do! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandy, Happy New Year to you too.

      Delete
  4. Personally, I think February can give January a run for its money as the dreariest, most depressing month of the year. But I like how you take joy in the small things in life! A good way to live. I used to have a pair of slippers like those in your photo. They were great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are my Primark slippers. I love them, they are so cosy and warm I don't need to wear socks.

      Delete
  5. I very much enjoyed Three Pines. Molina has such a calming presence.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love The Detectorists and Ghosts too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I will ever get tired of watching them.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never seen the Detectorists but I noticed it on my streaming platform so I think I'll have to check it out. I love your positive list -- a good reminder during our gloomy January days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it Jeanie, they are slightly quirky characters 😊

      Delete
  9. I love your jammies, Polly. Just went and got my eyes looked at this week. Need readers. Was offered also the no script on the top and readers on the bottom. Same as you, took me too long to go get glasses. For now, I went with just the readers, though once the new job starts, if need be, I can get the no script on top and the readers at the bottom. Depending on how much reading is needed. I can see regular, just not teeny. Love that you're finding fun stuff to watch. Hubby LOVESSSSS The Detectorists. Such a funny show. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my glasses, I can see the TV clearly, and then look down to do some knitting or sewing :-)

      Delete
  10. I had to look up varifocals, but I see it’s what we call progressive lenses. I have them and love them, although they do take getting used to.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...