3 July 2022

A Cake, A Moth And Starlings

The Cake
On Friday two lovely friends joined me for a cream tea. I made sandwiches - cream cheese and smoked salmon, cheese and pickle, ham and tomato and ham and mustard. Scones with jam and cream, and cake. All morning the weather had been alternating between sunny and warm to cloudy and cool, but I decided to eat outside. It was lovely when they arrived but no sooner had we sat down in the garden than the sun disappeared and a dark cloud wasn't far away so we decamped to the dining room. I wanted to take photos of the table but forgot, but I did take photos earlier of the cake which I was very pleased with.
A "Fraisier" is a traditional classic French Dessert made with fresh strawberries. Its name comes from the French word "Fraises" which means "Strawberries". It's often described as "Tricky to achieve but certain to impress".
I first heard about Fraisier Cake from the Great British Bake Off, and thought ''I could make that''. That was quite a few years ago and finally I made one.

Well to be more accurate me and Betty Crocker. The make it yourself recipe is very involved and would probably take me a whole day to make! The cake mixes are so quick and easy and taste good, not as good as homemade but still good. For the filling 
I used Betty Crocker cream cheese style icing which is delicious. I plan to make one again when my Ozzie daughter visits in August, yes she's coming over 😍 I will attempt to make the recipe's crème pâtissière filling though, it's a thick custard and it's just a bit firmer than the Betty Crocker, for keeping the strawberries in place around the side. The cake has a top layer of marzipan, a dusting of icing sugar and strawberries.

I tried making chocolate decorations to go on the top with the strawberries but they were a disaster. I didn't realise at the time, but it was obvious when my daughter told me the chocolate was too hot and runny when I started piping - duh. 
My friends and I had a great time catching up and talked for hours.

The Moth
Putting the rubbish out I spotted this moth on the front fence. 

Not the prettiest thing in the garden

but when, the next day, I saw what I think are eggs I thought she
was the most special thing in the garden.
She's gone now but I will be looking in on the eggs regularly.

The Starlings

We have a cherry tree at the bottom of the garden, the cherries are delicious - when we get to them before the birds. Every year we manage to harvest a few but the birds get the majority of them, and as usual it's the starlings, the garden thugs, who are the chief perpetrators. I sat in the garden for ages trying to get a video of them, but they weren't having any of it. Then I had a brainwave.

I sat in the shed!

∼ Be safe and well∼
Polly x

19 comments:

  1. Your Fraisier cake looks amazing and delicious! I first saw these cakes on the Great British Bake-off too, but kudos to you for making one yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debra, I'm pleased to have finally made one, after years of saying "I will make that one day"!!

      Delete
  2. Love the look of your strawberry cake, but I will have to say "no thank you". I am trying to be really good and just admire but not eat. I wonder how I would have managed though if I had been with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well now, that's the problem Rosemary. The times I have been out and told myself not to have cake, then seen it and my resolve just fades away!

      Delete
  3. I am completely inept when it comes to melting chocolate at all, let alone piping it! The cake looks delicious and I’ve been enjoying grocery store cherries the past several weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm confident I will master the chocolate piping next time, or ask my daughter to do it :-) The cake is delicious, too tempting!

      Delete
  4. Mmmmmmmm…that cake !!!…OMG ! I wish I would life close to you…🍀🍀🍀happy week love Ria and Leaf 🍀🐾💗🍀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ria. If you lived close I would invite you and Leaf over for tea and cake :-) x

      Delete
  5. Moths aren't in my good books right now, after a clothes moth ate a hole in a rather nice jumper.

    The Fraisier cake looks totally delicious. A shame about the chocolate piping. It looks like an abstract painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, that's not good. I have a very nice down coat that spends a lot of time in the wardrobe and I'm constantly checking it. Perhaps I could display the chocolate in an abstract painting competition! I've seen sillier things!

      Delete
  6. Mmmmmmm….owww i wish we could love love love 🍀🍀🍀🐾💗

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely cake! I'm sure that your friends felt special to be invited to your cream tea. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liberty. We're hoping to do it again next month.

      Delete
  8. I know what you mean about the birds and the cherry tree. I had the same luck with my strawberries! That cake is to DIE for! Well done, Polly! I'm sorry you had to move inside for your tea but no matter where it was, I know it was lovely! Certainly the menu was the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanie, we did have a good time inside and hope to do it again soon, maybe outside even :-)

      Delete
  9. That strawberry cake looks good, Polly and nothing wrong with using store bought cake mix as I did the same recently for a Boston Cream Cake. I'm sure your guests and you enjoyed the get together. That was an unusual looking moth and never been a "fan" of starlings or grackles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beatrice. I'm retired but I just don't have the inclination to make home made anymore!

      Delete
  10. Polly, your Frasier looks to be a great success. I have a friend who bakes cakes professionally, and he uses nothing but cake mixes. Frosting is another matter. It is always made from scratch. Apparently, this is quite common among bakeries. Your garden is lovely. xo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...