10 March 2017

Creams And Genes

When I first started this blog my intention was to talk about all things related to becoming a pensioner, a senior citizen, but then, as often happens, my mind started darting about all over the place and I blogged about all sorts of things that just popped into it! 
During a conversation recently with a group of mixed aged women - my daughter and her friends, and myself and my friend D who is a couple of years older than me, the subject of concessions for senior citizens came up, free bus travel, cheap cinema tickets etc., and one of the younger women, looking at my friend and I, jokingly said “See there are some compensations for being old” I laughed because I’m used to this kind of friendly banter, but for a nano second I was taken aback, because in my mind I don’t think of myself as old, and I certainly don’t feel old, most of the time I feel 30!! Except when I've walked the dogs, done a bit of housework and some shopping!
Later I started to reflect on the demise of youth, the passing of time, the wrinkles, the cellulite, the loose flesh under the arms that keeps moving long after I have waved goodbye, diminishing energy levels, looking in the mirror and seeing my mother, and worse of all being invisible! It's like I went to bed aged 30 and woke up the next day clutching a bus pass wondering how the heck did that happen. It would be very easy to become depressed about the whole ageing process but life is too short to dwell on something that I have no control over, so instead I try to make the most of what I have. 
I have always looked after my skin by using moisturisers. Over the years I have used a wide variety of creams - night creams, day creams, time delay creams, anti-ageing creams, eye creams. 

They all claim to do more or less the same thing - nourish, replenish, rehydrate, strengthen and firm, reduce the appearance of wrinkles. I don’t use expensive ones and usually stock up when they are on special offer. I like Boots time delay range, I like the smell.


When I was younger I cleansed and toned my face religiously every night but
now I use this face wash in the shower and face wipes at night. 



I also like the ANEW range by Avon, it has a nice smell too.

I'm pretty sure my complexion has benefited from the use of moisturisers over the years. But how would you know for sure if the anti-ageing and firming creams live up to their claims? could be your skin would age well anyway. The only 100% effective way of knowing would be to treat only half of your face, and who wants to do that!! 
One thing I am immensely grateful to my mother for is inheriting her genes, she was 94 when she died and her skin was still beautifully soft.
I know a lady who is 67, she has used expensive creams all her life but her face is quite wrinkled. A good friend of mine is 71 and has always used expensive creams, her complexion is beautiful, hardly a wrinkle in sight. 
My youngest daughter has only ever used good old Nivea cream and her skin is beautiful, as is my eldest daughter's. 
Moisturising helps, but I do believe that it's mostly down to genes.
What do you think, what is your regime, do you use moisturisers, do you use expensive ones?


20 comments:

  1. I think sun and genes and smiking are the wosrt culprits..I also think a little added weight is great for the face..

    as far as moisturizers go..I like Neutrogena now..for every day use..w/ the high SPF..and Roc..
    I wish I had had way more photos taken of myself lol ..younger..what was I thinking?
    When we look back..we think..aww...
    I do LOVE Uriage Crème Lavante..the small..scent is just what I love.
    I laugh when I see the stars moisturizers..La Mer etc..I would rather buy geraniums.
    Cute post:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nana, I had never heard of La Mer so I looked it up OH MY WORD, I would expect miracles for that price!! :-)

      Delete
  2. Well, you know Polly, I was with you all the way on this aging business - because it's definitely a tricky matter to come to terms with; and then you got onto creams. The only thing I can suggest is to drink beer. Everything looks better with beer. Seriously - I've had several pints and I can't see any wrinkles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha, love this Mike. Perhaps I should try it, is it because everything fades into oblivion after a few pints?! :-)

      Delete
  3. Some 15 years ago when I was in early 20s I used some of the anew products.. the are good indeed..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha..smOking..and wOrst..the smEll..

    ALLTHETYPOS:)

    Beer:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, no problem, I knew exactly what you meant :-)

      Delete
  5. Can relate to this post! I too have always used Olay moisturiser (and now I use night cream too, the range that Aldi do that has caviar in it, which is supposed to be like La Mer but is very cheap, feels good, smells nice) and always removed my make-up at the end of each day. But my genes are good (my mum had good skin) and I've never sat in the sun. I'd say it's: genes, sun damage, smoking and how you care for your skin that count, in that order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny, I will look out for that next time I visit :-)

      Delete
  6. Hello Polly,
    Thanks for your kind visit and comment on my blog!
    Creams and stuff for body and face are not for me, although I love the perfume of some of them!
    Enjoy the coming week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Noushka, I hope you have a good week too :-)

      Delete
  7. What a fun post! I do love a good face cream! I used Oil of Olay products for years but recently changed to Beverly Hills MD. Don't know if it's available there. I think a lot of it has to do with genes, too....but sun exposure seems to make a drastic difference in my friends. Those who tan constantly are now wrinkled and those who keep out of the sun are not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most people agree about the sun. A friend of mine emigrated to Australia almost 30 years ago and has always shielded herself from the sun, she is in her late fifties and her skin is beautiful, like porcelain.

      Delete
  8. Polly, such an interesting post! I think in my case anyway it's down to genes. I've never taken good care of my skin, other than avoiding the sun (but I don't wear sunscreen every day as recommended). I use a moisturizer occasionally, sometimes an expensive one by Dermalogica when I want to splash out but usually an inexpensive one like Neutrogena or Oil of Olay - but always fragrance-free. One's face is *not* the place to apply perfume! I'm very allergic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jean, thank you for your comments. Too much sun is definitely a contributing factor to wrinkles and damage.

      Delete
  9. You know I know that feeling Polly! That slight shock when you realise that you are older than you think you are. I'm lucky that I don't look (or feel my age), it's my Birthday on Wednesday and I'll be 51 - 51 ... Really?? How DID that happen! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, you don't look 51 at all, only seeing you through photos you barely look 41. Happy Birthday, I hope you have a great day xx

      Delete
  10. Hi Polly,

    Lovely to discover your blog and thanks for sharing the interesting post.
    I try to look after my skin by cleansing and moisturising and wear a hat in the sun. The other day I went for a Chanel facial and that was a lovely treat.
    Hope you are enjoying the week
    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Carolyn, ooh I bet the Chanel facial was divine.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...