21 August 2023

A Nice Day Out

Our latest U3A bus pass group outing was to Southend-on-Sea. I like seaside towns, probably because they hold happy memories of childhood holidays.
The weather was good, sunny with a few clouds but very warm.

Mind you I don't like the amusements anymore,
too noisy and I have developed a phobia for heights!

After a lunch of fish-n-chips M and I had a walk around. There are 46 large elephant sculptures and 72 baby elephants scattered around landmarks of Southend, Leigh and Shoeburyness.

The art trail is free but purchasing a map supports Haven Hospices. Unfortunately I only managed to see a few. If I had been on my own
I would have walked around a lot more. 


We were going to walk to the end of the pier and ride the train back
but the weather had become overcast and VERY blustery,
so we took the train there and back. 


The station


The train

At 1.3 miles the pier is the world's longest pleasure pier.


Doesn't that look cold, it wasn't though, I was brave and wore a short sleeved dress and didn't have a cardigan with me!! 


Cafés, restaurants and shops at the Arches along the promenade.


We finished our day with a coffee in M&S café.

∼ Be safe and well ∼

Polly x


4 comments:

  1. Lots to see and do in that town! Cute elephants as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have another day out there to see if I can find more elephants.

      Delete
  2. Weather aside, it looks like you and your friend had a good outing, Polly. I liked seeing those colorful elephants too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...