23 August 2021

Games

In her old age my mother spent a lot of time playing patience, also known as  solitaire.  Her favourite was the tradional klondike, she also liked clockwork solitaire but it's more difficult to complete. I think she also played one where two rows of four cards were placed face down, I can't remember much about that one. Whenever I visited we played Rummy.
My mother in law was a serious card/game player, bridge, rummy, poker, cribbage, mahjong, she knew dozens of games. I always said she taught my girls to count by playing cards with them!
Imagine what my mother and MIL would have thought if computers had been around in their day, and the array of different online games readily available at the click of a button.
I play a few online games

Spider solitaire

FreeCell

Klondike

Backgammon

and Mahjong, my favourite
I waste spend more time than  I should playing these games, they're very addictive.

∼ Be safe and well ∼ 
Polly x

18 comments:

  1. That's great, Polly! We all need to have challenges to keep our minds sharp! It's funny how we all worry about the kids playing video games so much - every generation has their obsession and a couple generations ago it was playing cards. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jodi, I like to think that it is a form of exercise for the mind! You're right about each generation having their obsessions.

      Delete
  2. I haven't played solitaire for ages but I used to play a lot of it. When I was a kid, my grandma taught me her favourite form of solitaire too. I don't know what "official name" either game went by -- it was all "solitaire" to us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always known them as solitaire or patience, I only heard about the official names recently.

      Delete
  3. I'm afraid I've forgotten many of the card games I learned from my parents and grandparents. My mother could play card games even when her memory loss might have suggested that she'd have problems in that area. Annoyingly she often used to beat both my brother and me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've forgotten many too John. I can remember lots of laughter when playing some of them though.

      Delete
  4. my MIL is 89 and plays cards regularly. She especially love Bridge and rummoli.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband plays solitaire online nearly every evening and he has become quite skilled at winning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just played a few games of backgammon, which I won!

      Delete
  6. Jacqie Lawson has these wonderful calendars and game things with different versions of solitaire. I've only done Klondike and one or two others (don't know the names!). It's fun. Yes, a real fan would go bonkers with all the computer options!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, I come from a family of mahjong players but I never learned how to play the game though.

    Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I play the online version but I've never played the board game version.

      Delete
  8. My maternal granny was also very keen on card games, but I never picked up any of them. I was more interested in books and board games. My maternal grandpa wasn't interested in card games either, his big hobby was bowls. When he got bored, he would spring out of his chair and say "I think I'll just pop round to the bowls club".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) that's nice. Mine and MIL's family were all keen game players.

      Delete
  9. My nanny taught me solitaire. I was never that keen on card games but loved her undivided attention, and the joy she got from teaching me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's often more than just the game, it's good to spend time together :-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...