14 August 2019

Dolls House No. 2 The Library

I sort of lost my way with this room. It was going to be a library/music/study room. Going with the library theme I couldn't really afford to do authentic bookcases so I used library wallpaper. That was 4 years ago!  Then there was a recess during which time I was trying to decide what flooring to do, and I became absorbed with other hobbies. I wanted to do a parquet floor with a medallion but I just couldn't find anything in my price range, or kit form, so I ordered this flooring card sheet. You're never really sure what an item is going to be like when ordering online, but I was quite pleased with it.

Next I thought about what to put in the room. I definitely wanted a desk and chair but when I also put a piano in it looked very crowded, so music room was scrapped. Then nothing for a long, long time until...............taking on board my daughter's comment here I  made a concentrated effort to get on with it. 

Lighting finished, skirting boards and the window sill fitted, and the curtains, which I thought would be a lengthy, fiddly and frustrating job but the material sewed and pleated just right.

I've always liked the idea of a chaise longue so that the Mrs of the house can relax and read while the Mr is sitting at the desk surfing the web to find their next holiday :-)

Then came the grandfather clock and the globe. 

The desk started as basic unfinished wood which I stained and varnished and put different drawer handles on. I love the black swivel chair. I'm not sure if  still like that picture.
There are still lots of accessories to add but for the time being I need to get on with other rooms. I'm working on the lounge and dining room floors now. 

Be well ~
Polly x

9 comments:

  1. ADorable!!!Treasures you are creating treasures

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job coming back to finish off the house, Polly! I love how the wallpapers, floor and furnishings all complement the tone of one another! The accessories will be fun and I am sure will portray to the viewer the story of Mr. & Mrs. planning a fun vacation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jodie, yes looking at the photos I've just noticed it does all compliment each other, it wasn't planned that way, I was just eager to get it finished!

      Delete
  3. no conocía tu blog, me quedo por aquí y te invito al mío...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Carmen, I have visited your blog too.

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful room. I love the grandfather clock and the big globe and the chaise longue. And I love all the bookshelves, even if they're just wallpaper! You could have a few actual books on the desk to add authenticity....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nick, thank you for your compliments. Yes I will put a few books on the desk, and maybe one on the chaise that the lady of the house is reading :-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...