4 March 2019

The Dolls House Main Bedroom



I'm glad that's finished, well 90% finished, I need to add a few more embellishments, and I need to put a picture on the far wall between the doors, and a full length mirror on the wall at the side of the window. 

It started well

The wallpaper is a sample from a DIY store and the flooring is varnished spatulas again.

I decided to put fake doors in (miniaturists are allowed artistic licence! :-)  because
the lady of this house would definitely have a walk in wardrobe and an en-suite,
especially as her teenage daughter has an en-suite!
Don't look too closely at the bottom left of the fake door, I miscalculated and had to add a piece of wood.
It's nicely painted over now and hidden by the bed anyway!

I knew the furniture I wanted, I bought the bed at a local dolls house shop and ordered the dressing table, chest of drawers and bedside cabinets online. I planned to spray paint the bed to match the cream furniture, however, it wasn't all cream, the chest of drawers was white! Change of plan, I spray painted everything to match the white chest of drawers.

So down to the shed, because the weather was too bad to do it outside, furniture in a cardboard
box and spray away. It only took a few coats to get a good cover.

The bed was mahogany to start with, I used paint stripper to take off most of the colour.

It worked quite well. I thought it would be nice to put some decoration on it.

This cheap frame from Hobbycraft was just right for cutting out some of the swirls.

I tried a few designs
and looking at the photos here I wish I had gone with this one above

but I decided on this one. I glued them in place and spray painted it.

Now this is where it got very tricky. I wanted to decorate this little bed with some gold leaf............. 
dear reader, if you ever hear me mention gold leaf again, take me by the hand
and gently remind me how bad this was.
If you've done gold leafing before you know how fine it is. Oh boy did I get into a mess.
Just a gentle sigh from me scattered bits of gold leaf all over the place. 

I don't know if I bought inferior leaves, I just couldn't get it to cover nice and smoothly.

This is not pretty, but by this time I didn't want to start all over again either
sanding and painting or buying another bed.

THEN.....!!!
As if that wasn't enough punishment I decided to have a go with two ceiling roses!!


This one for the music room turned out quite well. 

The one for the bedroom, well it's a disaaaaster dahling. 
But the chandelier is very pretty and you can see more of that than the rose. 

So onto the curtains. I should have gone with straight forward pencil pleats, but no I thought 
Roman blinds would look nice which they do but what a fiddly job.


I went to a textiles exhibition last year. The ones I liked were out of my price range, but I did find this little package of material for only £5, just enough to make bed linen and curtains with, and I'm going to use that small piece of burgundy velvet to cover a bolster.

I'm currently hibernating making lap quilts.

~Keep warm and well ~
Polly x


30 comments:

  1. That's a very luxurious-looking bedroom. I wouldn't mind a full-size version for myself! The ruched curtains and bedspread are rather wonderful. I had no idea gold leaf was so difficult to work with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nick. I thought it would be easier than it was!

      Delete
  2. Amazing, very well done :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impressive and inspirational. Such a clever idea to use spatulas for the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, wow the dollhouse bedroom is gorgeous. Well done! Wishing you a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Polly,
    This bedroom is fantastic. I love the white furniture with the vibrant bedding and curtains. You did a great job transforming the furniture and the touches of gold are just right. I also must mention how much I like the floros. Great work!
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Giac, its lovely to hear from you, thank you for your comments x

      Delete
  6. Beautiful and cohesive room, Polly! I love how you've brought each piece into harmony with the color, and the detailed carvings on the bed give it so much interest! The bedding and the curtains really draw your eye and make the whole room a special place for the lady of the house. The gold leafing when looked closely may not be the results you were looking for, but the effect on the room is perfect! I find gilders paste a much kinder medium to work with than the gold leaf. The adhesive has to be applied in the perfect amount or else it doesn't go on evenly. Also, the Ranger metallic paints give a nice effect if you've got a small brush and a steady hand. In any case, the room came out beautifully and is one you should be proud of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jodi. The gilders paste looks lovely, thanks for the recommendation. I didn't realise how difficult the gold leaf was to use.

      Delete
  7. Your colour scheme is very soft and romantic and I love the pairing of the vibrant pinks with the more muted neutrals. And although i've never worked with gold leaf I think that you've done a good job with it.
    And I Love your chandelier too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful!! You did a fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - good job this is a phenomenal effort. I love all the hard work and the gold turned out good!
    Happy days!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just think all of this stuff is brilliant. I don't know how you do it. Couldn't you have used some Humbrol gold paint...or is that a bit like blaspheming whilst taking tea with the vicar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike, yes Humbrol paint would have been easier, I really didn't think the gold leaf would be so difficult, it looked easy on Youtube!

      Delete
  11. I am so impressed! Your details are glorious. bravo!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...