29 October 2018

A Good Read


Blue Lightning by Ann Cleeves
Shetland Detective Jimmy Perez knows it will be a difficult homecoming when he returns to the Fair Isles, where strangers are viewed with suspicion and distrust, to introduce his fiancĂ©, Fran, to his parents. 
Soon after their arrival a woman's body is discovered at the renowned Fair Isles bird observatory. A raging storm prevents outside help from mainland detectives leaving Jimmy to investigate alone. He has to find clues the old-fashioned way, and he has to do it quickly. The killer is waiting for the chance to strike again. 
This is the fourth book of the series, it was a book club choice so I have read it out of sequence but it didn’t matter because although there is a story weaving through them all each one is a separate whodunnit. 
It’s very well written and conveys a real sense of life on the Isles. I liked Jimmy Perez, I like that he is a bit old fashioned and thoughtful. He gets the job done. It’s a very good crime novel and although I did pick up some clues and knew what was going on I didn’t identify the murderer!  
~Happy Reading ~
Polly x

7 comments:

  1. Currently I'm reading, "Those who stay, Those who leave" by Elena Farrante ..it is so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, here, in The Netherlands, we can follow the television series of Jimmy Perez, I like the good structure of the story. Although I haven't read the book, but this crime story is always interesting and the acting roles of the cast is done very good!
    I apologise for my poor knowledge of the English language.....but I do my best ;)!
    Kind regards, Ilona x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Polly,
    Thank you for the recommendation. this one sounds interesting.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here in eastern Canada (Newfoundland), I've been watching Shetland on Netflix and really enjoying it. I had no idea it was based on books though. Perhaps I'll check them out of the library.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the first, second and fourth book in the series on Kindle (sadly I missed the 3rd on sale and now will wait...). I'm eager to read her! I'm on the 12th Louise Penny book which I am gobbling up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, the book sounds even better than the TV series! We see it in Finland too. :)
    I love the views, the knitwear and the dialect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I shall have to look out for that.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...