27 October 2017

What To Do With Matilda

Approx 41 years ago I bought Matilda for my youngest daughter
she had a baby roo in her pouch and my daughter loved her,
even when she was grown up she didn't want to part with her.


Then my daughter emigrated to Australia and there just wasn't room for Matilda.
But then my grandson took a liking to Matilda and so she moved into a new home.
Baby roo was lost somewhere in transit.


My grandson is 13 now so Matilda has spent a few years in the attic.
After a tidy up in the attic a few weeks ago I decided that it was time for Matilda to go to another home.


Along with Scooby Doo I took Matilda to a charity shop but .......
they couldn't take her because she didn't have the CE label
declaring that she met the necessary safety requirements.
I had forgotten that toys didn't comply with safety directives all those years ago.


So Matilda came back home and I took her to the tip.
noooooo ........ was I really going to lob her into a mucky rubbish skip, 
no I was going to place her in a container along with other toys and dry household items.


However as I was walking toward said container with Matilda's brown eyes looking up at me 
I had a moment of deja vu, all the happy times my daughter had spent playing with her
all the years she has just "been around"
I couldn't do it, I brought her home. 
So what do I do with her now? 
She's currently wandering around my bedroom.
IT'S JUST A STUFFED TOY, why am I being so sentimental about a stuffed toy?
it's just one of many my daughters had.
I guess toys have history too. 

Have a good weekend

Polly x

26 comments:

  1. This is a very beautiful and human post, written by a lovely person. I'm so glad that I read it today. Thank You <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for that lovely compliment Claudia.

      Delete
  2. Maybe she could sit it the bathroom and hold an extra roll of toilet tissue? Like you, I hate to part with sentimental things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, good idea, but I think she would suffer from damp fur!

      Delete
  3. I couldn't have taken her away or let her go, either. You'll find a spot for her. How about under the tree at Christmas with some wee gifts in her pouch?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeanie, a friend suggested getting a waistcoat for her and pinning brooches on it :-)

      Delete
  4. Beautifully written. It strikes me you need to just bite the bullet and keep Matilda on your bed. Maybe you could have the occasional waltz...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha, ha nice one Mike. Thank you for the compliment.

      Delete
  5. A Christmas hat and a gift in her pouch seems to be the perfect solution. Maybe outfits for each season so she could be part of the decor. I wouldn't be able to part with her either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello mama, I quite like the idea of a festive outfit, I have a santa hat that I think would look very fetching on her :-)

      Delete
  6. So no safety label - Strange to discover after all this time that Matilda is a dangerous animal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha, ha, excellent John, poor little Matilda.

      Delete
  7. Keep her:)Yes tuck something in her..hopes maybe?:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nana, yes I have a feeling Matilda is going to be around for a little while longer!

      Delete
  8. Mathilda is so pretty.. it is difficult to part, as she bears so many memories..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Krishna, I think that's what it is, so many memories and she is the only toy left from when my daughters were little.

      Delete
  9. Hello Polly,
    I think it would be sad if things like stuffed animals that belonged to family children meant nothing to us. I say enjoy her company.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is such a lovely comment Giac, and very true. I'm so glad I kept her and I will enjoy her company. :-) x

      Delete
  10. Ah Polly, what a beautiful tale. Matilda has had such a wonderful life - she deserves an equally wonderful retirement - with you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne, welcome to my site, have a look round, you can see some photos of the dogs xxx

      Delete
  11. Matilda's lovely. What a shame the charity shop wouldn't accept her. I bet there are many more hazardous things in the average home than a stuffed kangaroo! Maybe you could give her away as a raffle prize or give her to a nursery (if they're not fussy about a CE label)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re correct about hazards around the home Nick, and unfortunately Matilda now falls into that category. Her fur probably isn’t fireproof, and I’m pretty sure her eyes could be removed by persistent little fingers and become a choking hazard, pushed up a nose or into an ear. So no-one will take her because of those risks. Besides I’m quite happy to have her back and I will find her her own place soon!

      Delete
  12. I am just the same with stuffed animals, I try not to look at their eyes if I see them for sale anywhere or I have to buy them.!!Just come across your Blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Polly, and thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  13. Oh, I'm glad you didn't leave her at the tip! One of my boys had a lovely little cow, of which he was enormously fond. He called her Ashley after the little girl next door, and after he grew up and left home, I kept her. When the Grand-twins were born, I gave her back to him, and the girls enjoyed her, too. When she is once again redundant, she will be passed along to other mothers with younger children, and no doubt continue to delight them until she is too old and tatty. I'm happy with that!

    If you would like, you can see her here, in this post from my old blog:

    http://www.thedeppeffect.com/1305/of-cows-and-trucks-and-pretty-little-girls/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh Ashley is so cute, lots of history and more to come. That's a lovely story of childhood capers, your son was lucky not to have more injuries. I'm so glad I kept Matilda now.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...