28 August 2026

Magpies

One for sorrow
Two for joy
Three for a girl
Four for a boy
Five for silver
Six for gold
Seven for a secret never to be told

Regional variations have been added to it, or changed completely,
but this is the most widely known version of the Magpie rhyme.

The rhyme comes from traditional British and Irish pagan folklore that predicts good or bad luck based on the number of magpies you see. Magpies have long been viewed in Britain and Ireland as mystical or ominous birds.
The exact origin of the rhyme is unclear, but it almost certainly stems from ornithomancy, the ancient practice of divination and fortune-telling by observing the behavior, flight patterns, songs, and appearance of birds.
The Magpie Superstition:
It's thought that seeing a single solitary magpie is believed to bring bad luck or sorrow. If you address the bird politely by asking "Good morning Mr. Magpie, how's your wife?" you show respect and acknowledge its monogamous nature, which helps cancel out the misfortune of seeing just one. Also people often pair this verbal greeting with a polite nod, a tip of the hat, or a military-style salute.

A couple of days ago I opened my bedroom curtains and saw these 


I didn't have much time to catch the images, it's difficult to see but there were five. They were flitting about on the lounger, on the ground and back again. There had been some rain during the night and I think they were drinking from the cushion.


We have had a lot of Magpies in the village and our garden this year,
I think these were youngsters, they had a sense of joy about them.


I'm pretty sure this was the same crew the next day
in my neighbour's garden enjoying their swing chair.
I opened the window to get a better angle but they flew away.

I like Magpies.

So, am I about to recieve some silver?

Be safe and well∼ 
Polly x 

2 comments:

  1. You have a nice backyard setup and it seems that the magpies thought so as well, here's hoping that they bring you an unexpected surprise, not that type, but silver 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beatrice. The lawn is greening up a bit now after some good rainfalls 😊

      Delete