18 February 2018

A Good Read


A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby
New Year's Eve. Strangers Martin, Maureen, Jess and JJ plan to commit suicide by jumping off a high building called Toppers' House in London. Their plans for a solitary death are ruined when they accidentally meet each other on the roof. What happens next is an hilarious account of a reluctant involvement in each other’s lives; forming a kind of support group; a pact to postpone their suicides until Valentine’s Day at least; a holiday in Tenerife; witnessing someone else actually jumping off and finally deciding to delay their final decision on killing themselves for another six months as they try to pull back from the brink. 

Very funny, well written, excellent, thoroughly enjoyed it. Started reading it whilst on holiday in Zanzibar, borrowed it from the resort library. Didn’t finish it before I left so I borrowed it from the library back home.




~Be warm and well ~
Polly x

18 comments:

  1. I like the sound of this one Polly will look for it. You write a good review, I have three books that I promised the author I would review and I just can't get down to it 😱

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read a Nick Hornby book years ago and told myself I'd read more, but never got around to it. Maybe I will now....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Start with this one John, I think you will enjoy it.

      Delete
  3. I read A Long Way Down some years ago now and can't remember much about it except that it was certainly original and surprising. Nick Hornby is a great writer but I gather he's very envious of certain other writers who he thinks are vastly superior!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read High Fidelity years ago and can't remember much of that but I'm pretty sure I enjoyed it! I keep a journal of all the books I read now. Some writers like to think themselves superior. There is a lot of snobbery around writers (and readers).

      Delete
  4. thanks Polly -- I'm always looking for a good new title.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I. like Nick Hornby but haven't read this one

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Polly. It sounds like one I would never pick on my own, but you've made it sound so appealing! Definitely unlike anything else I've ever read, and a new-to-me author to check out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He understands people and what makes us tick :-)

      Delete
  7. This sounds lovely, Polly. I've read a few Nick Hornbys and some were made into movies, I do like his style.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Amalia, I've also read High Fidelity and enjoyed the film 'About A Boy' but never got round to reading any more of his. Perhaps I will put one on my book club's list :-)

      Delete
  8. I haven't read this author (shocking.) and maybe I should! Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, he is very popular, I think you will enjoy his books.

      Delete
  9. Don't you think that sometimes the best reads are exactly as you have done picked up on holiday? This one did sound like a good choice! I like his humour, he is a good writer, I will look out for it!
    Have a great week and thank you for finding me on my new blog!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is the 2nd holiday read I have just picked up and enjoyed.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...